Friday, November 27, 2009

I love globalization.

Well, not really. But sometimes, it can be nice.



For example: I am currently sitting in Starbucks in Viña, drinking BREWED COFFEE from a paper (not styrofoam) cup. And they are playing Christmas music. And the Christmas music is English.

When I went downstairs to get more coffee (and show Chile just how much of a consumer I can be...), I heard more English-speaking people than I've ever heard in one place, except when there are reunions with all the other gringos here. Baby it's Cold Outside in English + English speakers + coffee = super happy Colleen.

And it's kind of pathetic that it makes me feel like that. That Starbucks feels like home? Kind of low. But at the same time, it makes sense. It makes sense that something familiar is comforting.


As I'm sitting here, a young boy of about 12 walked in and put rosary beads on all of the occupied table. We all ignored them, pretended they weren't there, and waited for him to come back and recollect them. Then he asked for money, and I said no. And I felt that pang that's become part of everyday life here, the one that reminds me I'm refusing to help people even though I could.

Do I really even have the right to feel so comfortable and at home right now, when I know that right outside the door there are billions and billions of people struggling to get by?


A $4 cup of coffee isn't so appealing anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment