Friday, December 11, 2009

Chau, chau, Chile.

I guess this is my last blog post in Chile. . . .

In high school, some crazy teachers taught me the importance of reflection. So throughout the semester, I kept this little notebook of funny experiences (or not so funny ones…) that forced me to come to some sort of realization about myself.

  1. Nothing is universal, except the existence of people. To say “we’re all the same” seems to be kind of a lie. I really think people ARE different depending on where they live, and what value system they grew up with. Different doesn’t mean worse or better, however, nothing of the sort. At the same time, I’m willing to bet we can all find at least one thing in common with every other person in the world. It makes the world feel smaller, more homey, no?
  2. If someone can’t pronounce your name, change it! It’s just your name, not your identity. Thus, I am now “Colleens”.
  3. Red does NOT always mean stop.
  4. Being scared, sad, annoyed—it’s okay! I think I’ve learned to not worry so much about how people perceive me, especially when I feel “negative” emotions. But they’re also human.
  5. Skinned knees aren’t embarrassing. It just means you did something fun. And probably fell.
  6. Seize every opportunity, no matter how small, to do something different and new. Even if it’s just crossing the street at a different intersection. Who knows what’s there.
  7. Don’t be too proud to ask for help, even when finding things on your own is more rewarding.
  8. I can’t be frustrated when things are hard. Don’t give up because you can’t do something 100% perfectly.
  9. Bring your own toilet paper
  10. Get one good hug every day.
  11. It sucks to not be the best, but that doesn’t always mean that you’re the worst
  12. Bread can be a meal. Or all meals. Or four meals in a row.
  13. I kind of miss studying sometimes, and feeling like I’m getting something done. I think I was made to be a really competitive person.
  14. I can definitely relax, but I will never be a relaxed person
  15. I need to appreciate things, even when they become normal. The ocean is still beautiful, even if I see it every day. It’s never the same.
  16. I always over-think everything, but it’s the decisions that I think about the least and just do that always turn out best.
  17. I need to tell people that I appreciate them. Or else they won’t ever know, and how sad would that be
  18. I need to act like I take myself seriously. I have a really bad habit of either putting myself down or making comments about how bad my majors are jokes. I can’t do that anymore. No one will take me seriously unless I start taking myself seriously.
  19. It’s hard being a tourist, being foreign. Although the novelty can be fun at the beginning, it wears off, and I’d give anything to just blend in a bit.
  20. I appreciate the US in a way I never did before. I hope I don’t ever criticize my country for being intolerant, for being discriminatory. Which isn’t to say I think it’s perfect yet, not in the least. I think I’ve just learned that it could be SO MUCH WORSE in the US. But you’re allowed to look 100% different, and that’s no big deal. Move here from another country – it’s okay.
  21. Real coffee can NEVER be overrated.
  22. I'm going to miss Chile.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for starting this blog. It's been great following your adventures. You're a talented writer and an amazing person with more adventures to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest colleens,

    i would like to tell you how much i have appreciated you during our time together in Chile. we both grew sooo much! and i am so thankful that we have each other at Vandy. we will keep each other honest with ourselves. and get to reminiscence together. God bless you Colleens and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete